The Township of Shaler, population approximately 29,700, a well-established First Class Township in western Pennsylvania north of Pittsburgh, seeks applicants for the position of Township Manager. Managerial responsibility includes administration of all departments including a 27-member full time Police Department, 26-member Public Works Department,
2-member Parks and Recreation crew and 3-member Sanitary Sewer crew as well as all administrative duties for a First Class Township. The Township is governed by a 7-member Board of Commissioners. The annual General Fund Budget is $16,500,000 The current manager is retiring after 30 years of service.
Requirements for this position include:
• BA/BS degree from an accredited four-year college or university, preferably in Public or Business Administration, Planning, Engineering or related field.
• An understanding of Pennsylvania municipal laws; working knowledge of First-Class Township Code desirable.
• Minimum of eight (8) years progressive municipal management experience, at least three (3) as a municipal manager preferred; relevant experience in a related field may be considered; Master’s degree in Public or Business Administration may substitute for one year of experience.
• Passion for public service; strong work ethic; embracing the role of recommending policy initiatives and carrying out decisions of the Board of Commissioners.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and sound administrative skills in technology; ability to relate well to constituency and other government officials.
• Ability to oversee preparation and management of annual and capital budgets, short and long-term planning and project and contract performance.
• Leadership skills, knowledge and experience to manage the areas of: Board’s agenda, administration, finance, human resources, collective bargaining, citizen communications, planning, land use and zoning, fire prevention and protection, building inspection, code enforcement, public works (including stormwater management), parks and recreation and municipal facilities.
• Understanding of and participation in governance of public services, such as multi-municipality agencies (Hampton Shaler Water Authority, Shaler Hampton EMS).
This position offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits, including a defined benefit pension plan.
Candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume, three (3) professional references, an expected salary range and salary history with their application. Resumes will be accepted until June 10, 2022
The Township of Shaler is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Shaler Township residency is preferred but not required for the successful candidate.
Please click here to apply online!
Or you can email all required documents to email@example.com
POLICE OFFICER CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATION NOTICE
Starting Salary: $58,551 Top Patrol Officer (6 years): $ 92,938 (as of 1-1-22)
Physical Agility Test: Saturday, June 25, 2022, 9:00 a.m., at the Shaler Area Titan Stadium located at 1800 Mt. Royal Boulevard, Glenshaw, PA 15116. The Written Examination will follow at 12:00 noon in the Shaler Area Middle School Cafeteria 1810 Mt. Royal Blvd Glenshaw, PA 15116 only for the applicants that successfully pass the Physical Agility Test. Late arrivals will not be admitted.
Other mandatory components of the civil service test are an oral examination, a background check, a medical examination, a psychological examination, and a polygraph examination. A complete copy of the Shaler Township Civil Service Rules is available for inspection during regular business hours at the Shaler Township Municipal Building, 300 Wetzel Road, Glenshaw, PA 15116 or online at www.shaler.org under Public Safety, Applications & Forms.
APPLICATION: Any person interested in the position of Police Officer who meets the General Requirements listed below may obtain the required Application at the Shaler Township Municipal Building. The Township Building is open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Call 412-486-9700 if you have any questions. A complete application form is also available online here!
Completed applications, including a legible color photocopy of a valid driver’s license and other required documentation must be received in person at the Office of the Township Manager, Shaler Township Municipal Building, 300 Wetzel Road, Glenshaw, PA 15116 on or before Friday June 17, 2022, at 12:00 Noon. Applications received after that time and date will not be accepted.
There is NO APLLICATION FEE
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS: Applicants must:
1. Be at least 21 years of age before the deadline for submitting completed applications.
2. Be a U.S. citizen and meet all State and Federal requirements for being a police officer.
3. Possess a current, valid license to operate a motor vehicle in Pennsylvania. License with a photo identification must be presented at time of filing the application and a Pennsylvania operator’s license must be obtained prior to appointment and maintained throughout employment.
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS OR PRIOR EXPERIENCE: Applicants must:
1. Have successfully completed the Pennsylvania Municipal Police Officers’ Basic Training Program requirements commonly known as Act 120 training and shall commit to the taking a successful completion of a certification examination administered by the Pennsylvania Municipal Police Officers’ Education and Training Commission within sixty (60) days of notice by the Township to take and pass the examination and such other qualifications as are set forth in the Shaler Township Civil Service Rules.
2. Possess a diploma from an accredited high school or graduate equivalency diploma.
3. Possess a 2-year associate degree with sixty college credits obtained from an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education, the Council of Higher Education Accreditation or the Association of Specialized and Professional Accreditors or possess a minimum of four (4) years consecutive experience as a full-time active-duty police officer within five (5) years prior to application with an agency having powers of arrest under State, Federal or Military law. For purposes of this requirement, the Township will consider an applicant as having full-time active-duty police experience if the applicant was employed as an active-duty police officer with an agency having powers of arrest under State, Federal or Military law in excess of fifteen hundred (1,500) hours each year for four (4) consecutive years within five (5) years prior to application.
Starting Salary: $58,551 Top Patrol Officer (6 years): $ 92,938 (as of 1-1-22)
Residency 10 air miles from Shaler Township Municipal Building (300 Wetzel Rd Glenshaw PA 15116)
Excellent Health Care with choice of UPMC or Highmark health insurance which includes eye, dental, and prescription for employee and family.
Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
Sick Time Buy Back
8-hour shifts with shift times 7a-3p, 3p-11p, & 11p-7a
• Sick Leave
o After 90 days to 1 year – 5 days
o 1 to 2 years – 10 days
o 2 to 3 years – 15 days
o 3 years and above – 16 days
• Vacation –
o 1 -5 Years – 10 days,
o After 5 Years - 15 days
o After 10 years – 20 days
o After 20 years – 25 Days
o After 25 years – 30 days
• Holidays –
o 10 holidays & 2 personal days
• Compensatory Time
o Accumulation of up to 48 hours a year
Defined Benefit Pension Plan – Superannuation Retirement at 25 years & age 55
State of the art equipment with department issued weapon
Yearly clothing allowance
Department is member of North Hills Special Response Team & North Hills DUI Task Force
False or incorrect information will void the application.
The Township of Shaler is an equal opportunity employer.
Crossing Guard applications are now being accepted for part-time positions. When submitting applications for Crossing Guard you must also submit the following background clearances: Child Abuse Clearance and the Federal Bureau of Investigation Fingerprint Clearance. Please use the Township application below and see "Quick Links" for links to the websites to obtain the proper clearances:
Applications for Police Officers are accepted when the Police Department holds examinations through the Civil Service Commission. Individuals may sign up for the News Flash notification on this site to be alerted when examinations are taking place.