Building Permit Applications

Building Permits

Building permits are required for building, grading, land development, demolition, and certain renovations. This includes but is not limited to: constructing a garage over 1,000 square-feet, structural renovations to a residence, building an exterior addition, porch or deck, constructing a wall 4-feet-tall and above and putting in an in-ground or above-ground swimming pool.

Building permits are not required for fences, hot tubs, roofing and siding projects, replacing windows or paving a driveway.

Residential Building Permits

A Building Permit Application must be filed with and approved by the Township prior to the commencement of work. Building Permit Requirements download.

With a completed, signed and dated application, you must also submit:

A set of detailed plans with front, rear and cross-sectional views and elevations. The plan
should include water runoff and erosion control as applicable.
Energy conservation requirements, per the Pennsylvania Alternative Residential Energy
Provisions. This is required for habitable additions and new homes.
Copy of the property survey with proposed project and front, side and/or rear setbacks.
Copy of contractor’s workers compensation insurance (if using a contractor)
Appropriate fees (cash, checks or MasterCard, Visa and Discover cards are accepted)

After the application and all required documents are submitted with the applicable fees, the building inspector will review it to make sure the project is code compliant and issue a building permit.

Inspection and Occupancy

Once the permit is issued, inspections must be done at various phases of construction. You must give 24-hours’ notice to schedule an inspection.

1. Footer inspection – when forms are in place and prior to concrete being poured.
2. Foundation inspection – foundation walls and sill plate bolts (anchors) are to be inspected
    prior to framing.
3. Framing and mechanical inspection – After electrical and plumbing rough-in inspections
    are completed and before insulation. Inspection reports from electrical and plumbing rough-
    in must be provided to the building inspector
A. Electrical - Rough-in and final electrical inspections are required to be done by a third party agency certified by the State Department of Labor and Industry. Please call the Building and Zoning Department at 412-486-9700, ext . 216/222 for a listing of electrical inspectors approved by the Township.
B. Plumbing – Sewer, rough-in, final and stormwater. Arrangements should be made through the Allegheny County Plumbing Division at 412-578-8036.  Plans/abstracts should be filed at the Plumbing Division office before inspections are called for.
4. Insulation – before the walls are covered
5. Wallboard (drywall) – before compound is applied
6. Final inspection – An occupancy permit will be issued after the structure is completed and
    prior to being occupied. All smoke detectors must be hard-wired with battery back-up.  A
   “final electrical sticker” must be affixed to the electrical panel.

Failure to abide by the above rules will constitute a violation of the building code and you will be subject to a fine for each offense.

Upon completion of a project, the owner or applicant must obtain an occupancy permit by completing an Application for Certificate of Zoning Compliance. The occupancy permit is paid for at the time the building permit is applied for. An occupancy permit will be granted after the building inspector does a final inspection and approves all construction and no one may occupy the structure until a permit is issued.

Accessory Zoning Permits  

An Accessory Zoning Permit (Application) is required for construction and building projects that do not fall under the requirements for a building permit. An accessory zoning permit is required for sheds under 144 sq ft, carports and detached private garages under 1,000 sq ft, and other detached accessory structures to one- or two-family dwellings.

The Accessory Zoning Permit Application should include a survey of the property to ensure the proposed construction is not encroaching on property boundaries, public right-of-ways or underground utility lines.

Commercial Building Permits

For a commercial building permit, applicants must submit everything required for a residential permit (Building Permit Application) including plans stamped by a registered design professional. The proposed plan will likely go before the Township’s Planning Commission to ensure the project passes the township’s code.

Permits & Applications